Search Saving Face

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Beauty ISN'T skin deep

I am guilty of spending a small fortune on cosmetics. Skin creams, blushers, nail polishes. L'oreal should seriously consider making me a shareholder, the amount I've invested. I could have bought a horse by now. Heck, if we'd have clubbed together we could've bought a Grand National winner, ladies.

But the whole point is, we love cosmetics. I love it. I love trying out new products, new looks- reading all your amazing blogs and recommendations. Why not? We work damn hard, we want to treat ourselves. And anywho, there are worse addictions to have. It's not drugs. Or fried chicken.

But I think every now and then, in the beauty obsessed world we live in- where stick thin models are airbrushed to obliteration- it's important to get some perspective. Until the day I die, I will never look like Kate Moss. And you know what, I could not be happier about that fact.

One lady who really, really inspires me; and she's not Beyonce or Marilyn Monroe- is Katie Piper.

Katie- a former model and TV presenter- suffered an horrific acid attack by her truly evil ex boyfriend. Her whole face and neck were left completely unrecognisable.



When you hear her story, your first feeling is just shock and anger. How could anybody do that?! It's unbelievable.

But a few years on and some brilliant medical help later- Katie is an absolute inspiration. I've just got her book 'Katie: My Beautiful Face' and I would recommend it (technically, it is a beauty buy because it's about beauty on the inside, so natch this post is relevant) to anyone.

So take some time out to watch the links below and you will see how far she's come.

Then go out and buy those beauty products and damn it, live for today. But don't think about 'oh I wish I could change this' or 'oh dear lord, my ass is huge!'

And next time those haters get you down or someone tries to make you feel like shit, remember, it doesn't matter. Make up can only go so far and they're the hideous ones. It doesn't matter what Katie looked like before and what she looks like now. She is literally one of the most beautiful women in the world.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/katie-my-beautiful-face/4od#3019774

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/katie-my-beautiful-friends/4od#3173454

No comments:

Post a Comment