Search Saving Face

Friday 20 May 2011

Product Placement Much?!

Now, as you know, I have a little bit of a girl-crush on The Saturdays. Especially Rochelle. And her accessory collection. Plus the glaI mourous way she can pull of a red lip *Sigh*. Anyway, before this  post turns me in to a quivering mess, let me get to the point.

And let me repeat- I love The Sats.

So it was with 'what-dress-and-hairstyle-combination-will-they-pull-off' anticipation that I watched their new vid Notorious.

But apparently, instead, I ended up pressing the wrong button and watching a Barry M advert. Silly me. Oh no, wait........This IS their new video.

I understand they have to pay their bills, for the video, for all those fab scarves/ voluminous hairspray. But REALLY? Do they really think putting a 2 second still of Barry M lipgloss in their video is going to make me think 'Oh, how innocent this scene is- and wait...The Saturdays achieve their glamourous looks by using Barry M products? Get me to Superdrug, pronto!'

I suspect some D & G at the very least when I look at those perfectly painted nails.

It's just stupid.

 'Product placement.'

If you're lacking in funds, just come out a do a full-on advert for something. Everybody knows Cheryl Cole isn't always using Elnett for that Yeti 'do. But at least our eyes can glaze over when we see the advert, we can flick the page in the magazine. We know it's a fairytale, so we're making a conscious decision when we go to the shops and buy it. I've admitted it- I'm a sucker for a good advert.

But product placement is just damn deceptive. Do ten year-olds realise that Vanessa's pout isn't down to a £2.99 lipgloss? Good genetics, kids, trust me, you can't buy them.


I couldn't upload it, so go to youtube and watch the advert for yourself. In the meantime, I put up this picture to satisfy my....cravings.

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I hate it when product placement is so bloody obvious - Lady GaGa's 'Telephone' immediately springs to mind, the amount in that video is ridiculous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all getting a bit ridic- I don't need celebs to tell me to spend all my money on things I don't need, I can manage it all on my own thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dunno, if that Barry M lipgloss is gunna make me look like Molly from the Saturdays i am BULK BUYING the stuff xxx

    ReplyDelete