Search Saving Face

Thursday 2 August 2012

Book Review- All the Hopeful Lovers

I have thumbed this book good and proper.



*tsk* Keep it clean, ladies and gentlemen- I mean this is a proper page-turner. And although I told you to keep it clean, the book doesn't necessarily....

You know that old adage 'don't judge a book bu it's cover?' WELL- this is a classic case.

I picked this up on the grocery shop. It was £1.99, I love a good trashy read, Bob's your uncle.

There it sat, unassuming on the bookshelf. And actually, this is my one big problem with the book.

*shield your ears*

WILLIAM NICHOLSON, WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING LETTING THEM MARKET YOUR WONDERFUL NOVEL LIKE THEY HAVE?!

On the cover are the words 'Playing away. You thought of it first. Then he did it. Would you forgive him.'
Oh right, you're thinking, a simple book bout adultery. Two main characters, beginning, middle and an end. Capiche.

NO. NO NO NO NO NO.

The book tells the stories of several characters- ranging in age, affluency and outlook- who are all linked to one another.

The main theme of all their stories? Love, desire, and where we all fit in to the world.

The one thing that I like most is Nicholson's ability to write with such conviction from every view point. In one chapter he's inside the mind of an 80-year-old man- the next he's telling the story of a teenage girl.

Apart from the odd 'hmmm, no self-resecting 19-year-old would ever use that word, mate' he does it very convincingly.

 I like the way he pulls off *excuse the expression* the portrayal of an insecure teenage girl (we've all been there) when he's, presumably from his name, a man.

There are so many depths to this book. It's sad, it's thought provoking, and at times it's hilarious (there's a very funny sex scene about 2/3 of the way through...)

I haven't actually got to the end yet, I just couldnt wait to share this with you! I really think it's worthy of much more than its been marketed for. It should have a great big audience and be discussed by reading groups everywhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment